Kennedale Wildcat Football kicks off a new season Friday night at home.
The first game of any season is not especially meaningful. It can not be used as a predictor of future success or failure. A lot of scrambling of players will be done from the first kick to the final whistle. But it will be a preview of the starters for the 2023 season with perhaps a few key auditions left.
A quick look will tell you that this is a game that features two of the best coaches in 4A football.
Richard Barrett – Kennedale Wildcat Head Coach/Athletic Director
- 23rd season (29th total);
- 211 wins (247 total);
- 0 losing seasons (1 total);
- past year record 8-4, last 5 years, 44-14 with back-to-back records of 10-1 & 10-2);
- 15 district titles (16 overall);
- state runner-up once;
- overall winning percentage 81%
Don Hyde – LaVega Pirates Head Coach
- 6th year, but long-time assistant);
- 51 wins,
- 1 losing season;
- past year 5-6; record last 5 years, 51-17 with two back-to-back 14-2 seasons;
- one state title,
- 2 district titles;
- overall winning percentage -75%
Last year, playing at Waco LaVega: Pirates 34 – Wildcats 7