Photo by Staci Otts from a previous game
The Kennedale Wildcats playing at home downed FW Diamond Hills Thursday night 58-0 as expected.
In other District 6/4A action this week, FW Western Hills couldn’t budge the Lake Worth Bullfrogs out of sole possession of the district’s top spot, falling 42-6. FW Eastern Hills continued their winning streak by defeating FW Carter-Riverside 34-14. And the FW Dunbar Wildcats remained in contention with a 54-23 win over River Oaks Castleberry.
Thursday evening it was all Kennedale, earning their 3rd shutout of the season with just two games remaining in the regular season.
Offense stats and leaders …
Kennedale had 315 all-purpose yards for the game against the Diamond Hills Eagles. Of that total 215 came in rushing yards.
- Cameron Lyles (Sr) leading the way with 104 yards and 3 TDs.
- Damari Harrell-Jones (Sr) added 49 yards and a TD.
- Jeremiah Clea posted a TD with 39 yards.
- Austin Thiele (So) contributed 13 yards to the cause.
- Jaylen Webb (Sr) ran back a kickoff for 62 yards and a touchdown.
The Cats fumble three times but never lost the ball.
Defensively, the Cats allowed no points for the third time this season. The Wildcats recorded 48 tackles with 16 for losses, getting 8 sacks, 3 interceptions, causing 3 fumbles, and recovering 2.
Defensive standouts …
- Tyler Greenfield (So) 9 tackles, 4 for loss, 2 sacks, and 3 hurries;
- Jacorey Jackson Jr (Sr) 6 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 hurry, 2 fumbles caused, 1 fumble recovered, hurried the quarterback 16 times, and successfully defended 2 passes.
- DJ Darjean (So) 6 tackles, 3 for loss, 1 sack, 1 hurry, and 1 fumble caused;
- Zach Conner (Sr) 4 tackles, 2 for loss, 2 sacks, and 3 hurries;
- Poasa Utu (Sr) 4 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 sack, 2 hurries, and 1 interception;
- Isiah Morris (Jr) 4 tackles, 3 for loss, 1 sack, and 1 hurry.
- Dedaute Scott (Jr) 1 tackle, one interception, and one pass defended.
- Cory McWhorter (Sr) 1 interception
Special Teams …
- Jaylen Webb (Sr) 100 yards on special teams, 62 yards on one touchdown kick-off return, and 38 yards on 3 punt returns.
- Lance Pate (So) 8 for 8 on point after attempts and had had one kick-off for 50 yards.
- Austin Thiele (So) had 9 kickoffs for 530 yards (53.0 avg)
District Standings (team, district record, overall record, next game) …
- Lake Worth 5-0, 7-1, Dunbar (Fri @ FW Handley)
- Kennedale 4-1, 5-3, Western Hills (Sat 11 am @ FW Farrington)
- Dunbar 4-1, 4-4, Lake Worth (Fri)
- Western Hills 3-2, 5-3, Kennedale (Sat)
- Eastern Hills 3-2, 5-3, Castleberry (Thur)
Castleberry 1-4, 1-7, Eastern Hills (Thur)
- Carter-Riverside 0-5, 3-5, Diamond Hill-Jarvis (Thur)
- Diamond Hill-Jarvis 0-5, 0-8, Carter-Riverside (Thur)
The two games to watch this week will be the Lake Worth/Dunbar game on Friday night and the Kennedale/Western Hills game on Saturday morning (11 am @ Farrington Field).
Kennedale’s final game of the season will be against the Dunbar Wildcats at home on November 4, 2022. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. The playoffs will begin the following week.