AREA ROUND – Kennedale (10-0-1) vs Melissa (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Grapevine’s Mustang-Panther Stadium (Tickets & Directions)
Last Friday evening at Kennedale Wildcat Stadium, the Cats (10-0-1) moved to the second level of the UIL 4A Division I playoffs with a strong showing by both the defensive and offensive teams.
Kennedale scored 23 points before the Brownwood Lions could score their only points of the night. The Cats offense completed the game with 309 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 3 field goals while the defense stunned the Lions with 5 interceptions, returning three for touchdowns, and limited their ground game to 84 yards.
It was an especially good win for the Cats since last year’s unexpected early exit from the first round via an upset by China Springs 50-22. Before that, you would have to journey back 13 years (2007-08) to find another one-game Kennedale playoff season.
Area Round – Melissa (10-1) vs Kennedale (10-0-1)
The area round is next and it only gets harder. Kennedale will face Melissa (10-1, 5-1). Dallas Morning News ranks Kennedale #3 and Melissa #4 in their area rankings for Class 4A. #1 goes to Argyle while #2 is Midlothian Heritage (9-2). The winner of the Kennedale/Melissa game should meet up with Heritage in the third round.
Melissa’s only loss of the season came against #1 Argyle by a score of 48-28. In that game, Argyle jumped on Melissa earlier, with 3 unanswered touchdowns and Melissa never recovered.
In the bi-district round, Melissa defeated Dallas Carter (3-4), 62-0. Melissa QB Sam Fennegan threw for seven touchdowns (15-21-215 yards) with 1 interception.
Melissa has averaged 51 points per game this season while allowing 26 points per game.
Kennedale has averaged less with an average of 40 points per game but the Cats have limited opponents to an average of 8.5 points per game.
Brownwood vs Kennedale (WIN) 44-7
Kennedale – Rushing: 32 attempts for 301 yards (9.4 yard ave), longest for 70 yards and 2 touchdowns. Passing: 1 for 5 for 8 yards. Total offense: 309 yards
Individual Offense Stats …
- Marlete Joyner (SR) 14 for 106 yards (7.6), 1 TD;
- Cameron Lyles (SO) 9 for 148 yards (16.4);
- Kenaj Washington (JR) 2 for 16 yards (8.0);
- Jeremiah Myers (SO) 2 for 23 yards (11.5), 1 TD;
Aidan Birr (JR) 14 points – extra points (5-5) 5 points, field goals (3-3) for 9 total points, 2 punts 111 yards (55.5), 9 kick-offs for 539 yds (55.9).
Kennedale – Recorded 7 take-aways, gave up 52 yards by rush (2.2 per) and 211 yards by pass (4.7 per) for a total of 263 yards, had 8 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 5 interceptions, 8 pass breakups, 8 quarterback defenses and 3 touchdowns.
Individual Defensive Stats ..
- Tyler Choice (SO) 3 tackles, 2 interceptions, one returned 102 yards for touchdown and 3 pass breakups;
- RJ Pepper (Jr) 8 tackles, 1 for loss, 1 sack, 1 quarterback defense;
- Kameron Sallis (SO) 7 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 pass breakup, 1 touchdown;
- Braden Waters (JR) 7 tackles, 1 for loss, 1 sack, 1 quarterback defense, 1 interception, 1 touchdown;
- Antoine Martin (JR) 6 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 sack, 1 quarterback defenses;
- Poasa UTU (SO) 6 tackles, 1 for loss, 2 quarterback defense, 1 pass breakup, 1 sack;
- JD Coffey (SR) 6 tackles;
- Aidan Birr (JR) 6 tackles;
- Travis Neyhart (SO) 5 tackles, 1 pass breakup;
- Pa’ton Bragg (SR) 4 tackles; 1 for loss, 1 sack, 1 quarterback defense;
- Miguel Arias (12) 3 tackles, 1 for loss, 1 pass breakup;
- Junior Seay (SR) 2 tackles, 1 for loss, 1 pass breakup;
- Jacquis Ishmeal (SR) 2 tackles;
- Chris Washington (JR) 2 tackles;
- Colby Henry (JR) 1 tackle;
- Julius Perez (SO) 1 tackle.
Game Story …
Kennedale: Q1 – field goal, field goal, Q2 – touchdown, [defensive interception/touchdown], field goal, over on downs, timed out Q3 – punt, [defensive interception/touchdown], Q4 – touchdown, punt, [defensive interception/score], timed out – end of game.
Brownwood: Q1 – punt, punt, Q2 – interception, punt, interception, touchdown Q3 – punt, interception, over on downs Q4 – interception, interception, over on downs
- The Cats receive the ball & w 50yd ramble by Wildcat Cameron Lyles, Cats are on the BW25. Lions hold the line at the BW5. Wildcat Aidan Birr kicks the first of 3 field goals. SCORE 3-0 Cats 7:56 on the clock.
- The Lions go 4&out, turning over on downs at the BW27 on a 4&1.
- The Cats score again but after being stopped on a 4&3 at BW9. A. Birr kicks a field goal with under 2 minutes in Q1. SCORE 6-0 Cats time 1:28
- The Lions’ 2nd possession ends with a punt on a 4&18 at BW1.
Q2 – Start SCORE 6-0 Kennedale
- The Cats score in 3 plays on a drive that started in Q1 on a 22-yard touchdown run by Wildcat Marlete Joyner. Birr’s ex-point kick is good SCORE 13-0 Cats.
- The Lions on a 3-play drive throw the first of five interceptions and Wildcat Kameron Sallis with interception returns for a 32 yard TD. SCORE 20-0 Cats with Birr’s ex-point kick. Time 11:00.
- The Lions forced to punt from BW37 on a 4&9 (6-play drive). Eight minutes are left in the first half.
- Wildcat A. Birr kicks his third field goal to cap a 5 play 54-yard drive that ends on a 4&1 at the BW16. SCORE 23-0 Cats Time 6:32.
- The Lions throw interception #2 on the 2nd play of their next possession. Wildcat Pa’ton Bragg has the interception at the BW45.
- The Cats return the ball to the Lions on downs on a 4&4 at BW39.
- The Lions score their first and only touchdown that is highlighted by two 15 yard flags against the Cats. The ex-point kick by Birr is good. SCORE 23-7 Cats Time 1:22.
- The half ends with Cats on the BW39 on a 6 play drive by the Cats.
Q3 Start Score 23-7 Kennedale
- The Lions forced to punt on 4&8 @ KN49
- The Cats forced to punt on 4&8 @ KN30 but the punt is downed at the BW10.
- Lions drive to the KN14 but throw an interception to Wildcat Tyler Choice in the endzone who then returns the ball 103 yards for a Kennedale TD. SCORE 30-7 Cats Time 5:50.
- After a touchback kick by Birr, the Lions drive to the KN6 but the Cats defense sets up a wall and the Lions turn over the ball on a 4&goal at the 17-second mark in Q3.
Q4 Start Score 30-7 Kennedale
- Cats score in four plays helped by and finished with a 20 yard Qb keeper (Jeremiah Myers) for the TD. Kick good. SCORE 37-7 Kennedale. Time 11:20 in the game.
- After a touchback kick by Birr, the Lions start from the BW25 but throw their 4th interception on a 2-play drive. Intercepted by Kameron Sallis at the KN44.
- Cats however go 3 and out and punt at the KN49.
- Lions throw their 5th interception 2 plays later at the BW17. Wildcat Braden Waters returns for a 17-yard TD. Kick good. SCORE 44-7.
- After the kick-off, the Lions drove 65 yards to the KN10 but the Cats defense chokes off the Lions and the ball goes over on downs after a QB sack on a 4&9 on KN15. Time 1:22
- Cats run out the clock. Cat win 44-7.