Remembering things past ? KISD Historical Marker

Related Articles

Historical marker placed in 2016 …

 
The post-mounted historical marker stands at the southeast end of the parking lot the offices of Kennedale ISD, in front of an old sandstone wall. It marks the place of Kennedale?s schoolhouse built in 1913. {{more: Read More … }}
 
The following is information placed on the marker.
 

Known for its farming and brick manufacturing, the town of Kennedale was not officially incorporated until 1947. However, the town’s citizens recognized early the need for educational facilities for area families. To accommodate their need, the Kennedale Independent School District (ISD) was established around 1890.

 

The first school was a two-story frame building located near the current Administration Building, with all students taught by one teacher. At that time, the academic year was only two months, suiting the needs of the agricultural community. Over the next twenty years, the area grew and so did the need for educational facilities.

Early two story frame schoolhouse

taken around 1912 (photo from Kennedale News Archives)

In 1913, the Kennedale ISD purchased this site for a new school. To reflect the town’s brick manufacturing heritage, the new two-story building was constructed with brick. Although the building had no running water or restroom facilities, the property included a large green space for gardening or outdoor activities. The second floor of the school featured movable walls to create an auditorium for school and community plays and events.

Two story brick school house

built around 1913-14 (to the left would be the present day KISD Administration, 120 W Kennedale Parkway, and to the right, and in front of the cars, sits the present day KISD Alternative

Education School )

In 1938, seeking federal assistance to expand the school campus, the school district applied for funding through the Works Progress Administration (WPA). While it is unknown if the school district was awarded federal funds to build new classrooms, oral history attributes the old rock wall to the WPA. The Kennedale ISD campus changed over the years, but the rock wall remains as a reminder of Tarrant County and Texas Depression-era structures.
 
Have a memory or story to share …
 

Have a memory or story to share about the school or the earlier days of Kennedale ISD, send it to the Kennedale News at smith5270@sbcglobal.net.

 
Waymarking ?
 
Information for this article was from Waymarking.com which is celebrating 10 years online. It is a place online that people from around the world contribute information on over 600,000 unique and interesting places across the globe including sculptures, statues, museums and thousands of locations in over 1,000 categories that are available for viewing and visiting.

Find out more @

Waymarking.com

More on this topic

Comments

Advertismentspot_img

Popular stories