The subjects to be discussed or considered or upon which any formal action may be taken are as listed below.
Items do not have to be taken in the order shown on this meeting notice.
If, during the course of the meeting, discussion of any item on the agenda should be held in a closed meeting,
the board will conduct a closed meeting in accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act, Government Code,
Chapter 551, Subchapters D and E or Texas Government Code section 418.183(f). Before any closed meeting
is convened, the presiding officer will publicly identify the section or sections of the Act authorizing the closed
meeting. All final votes, actions, or decisions will be taken in open meeting.?The notice for this meeting was posted in compliance with the Texas Open Meeting Act on:
Monday, January 20, 2020
Unless removed from the consent agenda, items identified within the consent agenda will be acted on at one
time.?1. CALL TO ORDER?2. ROLL CALL?
A. Members PresentB. Members Absent?3. SPECIAL RECOGNITIONS?
A. Judy Castleberry Retirement Honoree?B. Camden Vickers and Family, R.F. Patterson Elementary?C. TASB Business Recognition?D. School Board Appreciation Month?4. CORRESPONDENCE?5. PUBLIC COMMENTS ON AGENDA ITEMS?6. PUBLIC COMMENTS ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS?7. NEW BUSINESS?
A. Discuss and Consider Personnel Needs of the District (Closed Session as per
Texas Government Code 551.071 and 551.074, if needed)?
1. Resignations/Retirements?2. Hiring of Personnel -?Administration ? Mike Holguin (Director of Safety and Security) replacing Logan Barrett
KJHS ? Tammy Dwomo (Assistant Principal) New position?3. Other Matters Concerning Personnel?
C. Order 2020 School Board Trustee Election??
- Order the General School Board Trustee Election for Saturday, May
2, 2020 for electing two trustees. One each, for the positions designated as
Place 6 and Place 7.?
- Deadline for filing application is February 14, 2020,
5:00 p.m. at the Kennedale ISD Administration Building.?
- Drawing for places on the ballot will be February 24, 2020 10:00 a.m. at the
KISD Administration Office.?
- Early voting will be held April 20 – 28, 2020. In addition to early voting
being held at Tarrant County Elections Center, Kennedale Community
Center will also be a location; other locations will be released at a later
D. Discuss and Approve Innovative Course Application Committee Lead?
Amy Newcomer, KHS CTE/CCMR Administrator has the opportunity to
serve on the Innovative Course Application Committee. The committee is
comprised of volunteers to create courses in gap areas to facilitate
availability in the 2020-2021 school year. The courses needed will be
identified from an evaluation of labor market data of the occupations in
Texas and the skills gap analysis that was conducted to align the skills in
those occupations with the existing career and technical education (CTE)
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
The committee will gather monthly for virtual meetings and approval is
needed for Ms. Newcomer to serve in this capacity.
The required approval from the school board does not indicate that the
local school district commits to offering the courses. Approval is
acknowledgement that the school board is aware of Ms. Newcomers role in
serving on the committee.
?E. Discuss, Consider, and Approve University of Texas at Arlington MOU?8. PUBLIC HEARING TO DISCUSS TEXAS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE REPORTS (TAPR)?
The Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR) has been released by the
state and has been made public. The information contained within this
report provides the summary data utilized to determine the 2019
Accountability Rating of ?B?. ?
?9. CONSENT AGENDA : All items listed under this subheading will be adopted with one motion unless they
are removed from the consent agenda by a Trustee for discussion. If you have
questions regarding one of these items, please call the Superintendent prior to
the meeting so that more information can be obtained and ready at the
A. Approval of Minutes?B. Financial Statement?
?C. Bills Payable?
?D. Report of Tax Assessor Collector?
?E. Discuss and Approve Engagement of Auditors Year Ending August 31, 2020?10. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT?
A. Campus Reports from Principals?B. District Report
- Expect more HB 3 rules to be set down by the commissioner. He was granted a great
deal of authority and latitude in interpreting legislative intent from HB 3. These rules
will make their way to us in Update 115 later this spring. We can expect that it will
overturn aspects of Update 114 we just adopted. There could also be budget changes that
become necessary do to these rules being handed out.?
- We will have a Policy Audit in May with TASB to help ensure our policies are aligned
with our practices and update them as necessary.?
- A significant cost and requirement will be the mandated Reading Academies our staff
will have to participate in starting 2020-2021.?
- Additionally, the requirement for full day Pre-K will need to be addressed. We are filling
out waivers for this year and for the following year to help transition us.?
- HB 3 in 30 videos are continually being released by TEA to provide more information
and help with understanding the complexities of HB 3. Link to videos listed below.
- Team of 8 Training in February with Holly Teague on strategic planning, I have started to
schedule staff meetings with campuses to identify core values and beliefs to aid in this
process. Holly Teague will also assist in facilitating community meetings for this
- A survey will be sent out with two options for district calendar, final version will be
brought to board meeting in February.?
- The district is signing up for spring job fairs at universities and will be sending
administrative staff to them.?
- Our district completed our second session with WordSmooth for our Harvesting Respect
Staff Development on January 6th and will be looking at additional trainings for next
- Our administrative team will be attending the TASA Midwinter Conference January 26-
29 in Austin.?
- The district has met with a civil engineer and a roofing consultant on the roof at the CIA
building as we look at our best options.?
- Brian is facilitating additional proposals for the media center audio visual upgrade and
- The organizational chart has been updated to show the changes in the structure of Central
- The district is looking at aligning social media policies and procedures, cyber security,
and the KISD Acceptable Use Policy.??
KISD Organizational Chart?(Click to see)?
11. SUPERINTENDENT’S EVALUATION, CONTRACT, AND SALARY (Closed Session as Per
Texas Government Code 551.074)?
A. Discuss and Consider Superintendent’s Evaluation (Closed Session as Per Texas
Government Code 551.074)?B. Discuss and Consider Superintendent’s Contract (Closed Session as Per Texas
Government Code 551.074)?C. Discuss and Consider Superintendent’s Salary (Closed Session as Per Texas
Government Code 551.074)?12. BOARD DISCUSSION?
A. Discuss Subjects and Dates for Upcoming Meetings?
1. February Regular School Board Meeting – Thursday, February 20, 2020?2. Special Meeting for Team of Eight Training – Holly Teague
a. Thursday, February 13, 2020?3. Work Sessions for Strategic Planning?4. TASB Policy Review – Thursday, May 28, 2020?13. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?14. ADJOURNMENT