From a Facebook post by Kennedale High School, “Congratulations to the Lady Kats Track team on their 3:58.20 run in the 4x400m to finish 9th out of 70 teams at Texas relays this past weekend.”
The team was composed of Jada White, Dekhota Sipho, Llyria Swing, and Alaya Huckabee.
2nd the largest track meet in the country …
The following information summarized the Kennedales was provided by Wikipedia.
High schools, colleges, and universities from all over Texas and beyond participate. The meet first was held in 1925 as a men’s event. In 1963 women’s events were added.
The Texas Relays are currently the second largest track meet in the United States, behind only the Penn Relays. Today, approximately 50,000 spectators and 5,000 athletes attend the events.
Kennedale has a history of success at the relays …
Looking over the past dozen years in just the women’s relay events, the following can be found …
- In 2019, the Kennedale Lady Kat 4×100 relay team captured first place in the Texas Relays with a time of 46.86. Team members were Alexus Jenkins, Brianna Brand, Skylar Lewis, and Alexis Brown.
- In 2015, the 4X100 team of Jazz McDermott, Mushelus Benson, Julia Mosely, and Alexis Brown finished 4th. The 4X200 team finished 9 overall, team members were Julia Mosley, Hailey Patterson, Musjelus Benson, and Miya Burgress. It was also the year that Lady Kat Hailey Patterson placed 3rd in the long jump with an 18’7″ – at the time it was the 4th longest in the nation.
- In 2014, the team Maiya Burgess, Hailey Patterson, Julia Mosley, and De Andrea Powell finished 4th in the 4X100.
- In 2013, Kennedale finish first in the 4X200 – Toni O’Neal, Hailey Patterson, De Andrea Powell, and Chianne Lowe.
- And, in 2012, the Lady Kats 4X400 team finished 8th. Team members were Jill Bietendof, Autumn Ray, Macee Price, and Tonie O’Neal.
It has to be noted that over the years, many other KHS athletes both male and female have found success at the Texas Relays in a variety of events.
Note: Kennedale High School participates in the High School Division I category at the meet which includes schools in Texas UIL Class 4A and under.