Preserving our History ~ That’s What We are All About!
The Kennedale Historical Society worked to obtain a historical marker on the “Old Rock Wall” as it is lovingly known by so many in town. It was built by the WPA in 1913 making it well over 100 years old.
The first brick school house was then opened in 1915.
The Kennedale Historical Society was so pleased, after months of research, that a Texas Historical Marker was granted by the State of Texas Historical Commission. The KISD Board of Trustees has graciously agreed to pay for a historical marker to be placed upon the wall near the administration building for all the see. The sand stones for this wall were hauled by horse and wagons after being cleared and dug up from the Rodgers Farm. (On land where the present KHS is now.) The Marker is for the Kennedale Independent School District and the Old Rock Wall. A dedication ceremony was held three years ago to unveil the marker, with many Kennedalians and Alumni in attendance. Pictured below is Mayor Johnson with Kennedale Historical Society President, Laurie Middleton Sanders.
This wall gave many men around town jobs, hired through the WPA, during hard times. It is a constant reminder of work that has stood the test of time and the community that has also stayed strong all these years. The wall holds fond memories of the school yard, the playground for others and even now a parking lot filled with visible memories from days gone by.
It’s still a great place to sit with friends for a photo opt. Here are long time friends in their picture they had made. Is your name carved in the wall?
The Kennedale Historical Society was established in 2011. We are dedicated to educating our citizens on the rich history of Kennedale that began back in the mid 1800’s. If you love historic pictures, LIKE and follow our facebook page to view what old Kennedale used to look like.
This article was written by Nadeya Patel and Laurie Sanders